Byre Cottage (sleeps 4)
Oak beams and exposed beamed with a lovely feature stone fireplace.
Bramble Cottage (sleeps 4)
Warm and inviting, oak beamed ceilings and stone fireplace.
Things to do - The Duddon Valley
Jewel in the Crown of Cumbria
The Duddon Valley will delight walkers, mountain bikers, climbers, nature lovers and those who enjoy the peace and beauty of the countryside. The tiny villages of Ulpha and Seathwaite are two focal points of the valley. At Ulpha there's a Post office/village shop whilst Seathwaite, situated near the end of the ancient Walna Scar road, boasts the 16th century Newfield Inn, where good home-cooked food, real ales and a warm welcome await, all day all year..
This Lake District valley is ideal for visiting the Western, Southern and Central areas of Lakeland. At the head of the valley is Cockley Beck were the two notorious passes of Wrynose and Hardknott meet, a drive not for the faint hearted. One of Cumbria's best drives is from Ulpha over Birker Moor into Eskdale, on a clear day affording spectacular views of the mountains of Scafell Pike and Great Gable.
Frith Hall is visible as a romantic ruin on the skyline as you drive up the valley. Four hundred years ago it was a hunting lodge overlooking the deer park of Ulpha (Frith means 'in the wood'). Three hundred years ago Frith Hall was no longer a host to the gentry but a hostelry open to all, a stopping place for pack-horse teams and their drivers on one of the old roads in and out of the valley. Like all routes to and from the coast, it was used by smugglers as well as honest carriers.
In 1904 the dam at Seathwaite Tarn was built to supply the expanding town of Barrow-in-Furness with water. The navvies brought in to build the dam rioted at the Newfield Inn and one man was shot dead, much damage was caused to the local buildings including the church where many of its windows were broken.
Quaker Burial Ground
Further up the valley, you will see a sober, square enclosure planted with conifers. That is a Quaker burial ground. No ostentation there, no headstones, statues or monuments. All is plain and quiet, inviting meditation. The last burial took place in the middle of the eighteenth century.
Duddon Hall was once the grand house of the valley, inhabited by the lord of the manor of Dunnerdale with Seathwaite. In its grounds can be seen an elegant Georgian chapel that looks a bit like a pagan temple. The circular chapel design was made to allow the chapel to double as an arena for cockfights, held on Sunday afternoons.
The fell side provided the Duddon with its greatest resource. Waterpower from the river was utilised both the bobbin mill and corn mill at Ulpha. Quarrying and the sale of slate, the only local building material, brought valuable income into a once self-sufficient community. The workings of the quarries are still visible on the hillside and some of the most beautifully marked slate came from Walna Scar.
Duddon Bridge Iron Furnace
This was established 1737, it was supplied with charcoal from the ancient coppiced woodland nearby. The pitsteads of the charcoal workers can still be found. Further information can be seen at the site of the furnace, which has recently been restored.